Merging previous PayPal subscriptions into Pember

Discussion in 'General PemBer / Paid Membership Discussions' started by Freelancer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

Background: I own a club, where I was using an external (non-XF) online solution to handle membership subscriptions. It is also based on PayPal Subscription system and works with the PayPal IPN URL as well.

Now as there are currently running subscriptions I was wondering how I can integrate the old subscriptions into PemBer and what would be the best practice for it.

I haven't updated the IPN URL yet as it would cut off the old system. How do I make a good transition?

Thanks

2. Sadik

Sadik Administrator Staff Member PemBer Owner

Hmmm. If it was XF upgrades, they would have continued to work.

With a non-XF system, it is impossible to tell. I am assuming you have some sort of integration built into your old script with xenforo. Paypal actually does not update the IPN url of existing subscriptions if they were submitted with the older website form submission system (which XF upgrades also uses), so even if you change your main account IPN url, and you have your old script in place, those subscriptions would continue to work.

But if you have no XF integration with your old system, and if they used paypal's NVP API, then those would break.

The best practice in this case, is to build a system which would parse your old IPNs, then pass the data along to PemBer and xenforo. Would require custom work of course.

PemBer actually does not need IPN url to be set if you are not going to sell recurring subscriptions with it. But it needs IPN urls to be set else recurring subscriptions won't renew.

3. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

That's actually the case. It is a "membership" management software for clubs from www.wildapricot.com
    https://www.wildapricot.com/online-payment-processing

And yes, I use recurring subscriptions with PayPal.

Could I just cancel old subscriptions and then set up a recurring subscription for the user with the end date matching the old end date. And no money is transferred until the recurring date passes and he must renew his subscription?

4. Sadik

Yes that will work. But of course, the user will lose the usergroup after the end date of the period of the recurring subscription and must buy from the new system (PemBer). In my experience site owners tend to lose many old customers who will not renew again. So it's a call you have to take.

Freelancer likes this.
  5. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

Yeah, I experienced that too...

Hmmm... I am keen to know more. I am sure you could do this custom work? What would you charge?

6. Sadik

I would recommend just asking users to sign up again if you have say less than 20 or so recurring subscriptions. If you have too many, like say 50 or above, then it makes sense to spend the effort to build an integrator.

Unfortunately I am not available at the moment. You can imagine even the PemBer release has been severely delayed due to my pre-occupations (I am working on it). So I cannot take any new work at the moment I am afraid.

7. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

It is much more than the 50.

But please go ahead and work on the Pember Update, That has priority.