Add a "FREE" Product Level Setting

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Freelancer, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

The way PemBer works (by adding user groups) we need a "Free" membership level product option, so users can choose to join and receive certain free benefits.

Sometimes these User Groups have permissions "revoked" or denied by "never" so it is essential that the user can be removed from a user group upon purchase of a paid level product.

To keep things easy, I would recommend whenever you make a product that is "0" (zero) amount, it will be be displayed as "FREE"

Zero equals "FREE"
    zero_equals_free.jpg

Instead of "0.00 USD" it then displays "FREE":
    free_membership.jpg

The rest of the options should be kept. So that you can also make a "First Month Free" (and then paid) product.

2. Sadik

Sadik Administrator Staff Member PemBer Owner

I have been thinking of various ways of doing this. One thing which I have had to explain to many people (and so it's obvious that it needs attention) is that the FREE membership is already present. If someone signs up from the /register link, they are essentially joining "FREE" membership into the Registered usergroup.

But I understand that people want to see the "FREE" option on the sales page itself. It is coming in the next second point version as well as in 2.0. But you should know that you cannot have first month free, like you envision. Because Paypal doesn't allow you "zero" as a charge... :) . I think you will like the implementation I have in development though.

Regards

Freelancer likes this.
  3. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

This is essential when you want the ability to "remove" a user group from the user who upgrades.

For example:
    User XYZ has a "Basic" (Free) membership where the "Basic" Level is a secondary group on top of the primary "Registered" group. Whenever he purchases "Gold" (Paid) membership the system needs to remove the "Basic" secondary level as the group's permissions would conflict with the new "Gold" group's permissions as well as the User Banner from "Basic" needs to vanish too, so he is not in two groups and has both banners.

I hope that was understandable...

Sadik likes this.
  4. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

Secondly, yes, the psychological effect is also important.

Let's say a fresh user joins the forum and after registration he is only "registered" and then must decide if he goes for a "free" user membership or "premium" membership. The active decision making is something really important for users. And helps to understand the status they get. Otherwise they might ask: "I haven't taken the premium membership, what's in it for me?" With a "Free" product you could list everything that is free and the user can compare it with the benefits of the paid levels directly on the PemBer products page.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

@Sadik would this feature be implementable in the near future? I would really depend on it to launch PemBer on my site at all.

6. Sadik

In 1.6 (and 2.0) there is an implementation of it, yes. But it's not coming in the near future I am afraid. The code is a total rewrite, and the core codebase for both 2.0 and 1.6 is same so I am afraid it has to go through several rounds of development and testing.

7. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

When are you aiming to release 1.6?

8. Sadik

Can't give you a date, but it's a massive code refactor and so totally unfinished at the moment... The aim is to release 1.6 and then 2.0 soon after XF 2.0 release.

9. ScarletCox

ScarletCox Member PemBer Owner

I'd also love a free option so we can let users add themselves to some of our permanently-available groups which currently have to all be done by hand :)

Freelancer likes this.